Some tour-goers search for inspiration for their next project; others hope to find an architect or home builder to work with; whatever the reasons may be, all tour-goers come to see a curated selection of homes in the Silicon Valley that embody the region’s unique modern architecture and design aesthetic.
On Saturday, June 9th, the Modern Architecture+ Design Society (MA+DS) returns to Silicon Valley for the 2018 Modern Home Tour. The annual event gives regional architects, designers, and home builders the opportunity to showcase their work to the community in which they work. In turn, the self-guided tour gives the community an opportunity to engage the minds behind the designs and ask questions, as they explore some of central California’s modern homes up close, inside and out.
“The Silicon Valley Modern Home Tour is one of our long-running California tours, and it’s one we always look forward to,” says MA+DS founder and president, James Leasure. “The Valley is one of the birthplaces of the mid-century modern movement. We are so lucky each year to be able to showcase modern homes from today’s architects, as well as a couple homes that exhibit the iconic mid-century style.”
Participants and homes featured on the 2018 Silicon Valley Modern Home Tour include:
- A new Palo Alto modern dwelling, designed by Buttrick Projects A+D, that serves as home to a family’s art collection, and double as guest house and office space
- An ultra-contemporary home in Los Altos Hills, designed by M. Designs Architects, that combines architectural design and engineering into smart, sustainable 21st century living
- A Guy Ayers Architect restoration of one of the first Eichlers ever built (1948), in Sunnyvale, that features one of the few original butterfly-roofs on an Eichler home
- A second Sunnyvale Eichler (a 1959 variation of the Anshen and Allen “E-11”), renovated and remodeled by Draco Design and Construction, that includes a brand new butterfly roof in the new design
- An incredible modern home in Cupertino, designed by Craig Steely Architecture, that floats in the canopy of a dense oak grove in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains
The Modern Architecture + Design society is proud to announce a new partnership with Comprehensive Disaster Relief Services (CDRS). Volunteers will help staff the event in exchange for a donation to help further the CDRS mission: providing emergency relief, healthcare and logistics services in response to large disasters anywhere in the World.
Participating homes in the 6th annual Silicon Valley Modern Home Tour will open their doors for viewing from 11AM – 5PM on Saturday, June 9th. All are invited to attend. Tickets to see all homes are $40 in advance online; $50 on the day of the tour. Details on ticket purchases and descriptions of all participants with photos can be found on the 2018 Silicon Valley Modern Home Tour event page: http://www.siliconvalleymodernhometour.com.